Skip to content
April 5, 2013 / silvernswan

Dining room curtains and the pattern match that didn’t . . .

When we moved into our house a year and a half ago it didn’t have any window coverings for the most part. We don’t really need them for privacy, but I am a big believer in window dressings for insulation especially on drafty old wooden windows. We used curtains I had made for our previous flat for the bedrooms. My mum helped me make the lounge curtains as it was a BIG job – we used 12 drops of fabric – as there is a lot of window space in our lounge.

The kitchen and dining rooms are one open plan space and decorated in two shades of grey. The darker grey has a purplish tone to it, and I really wasn’t sure what colour would work in this room. When I found this fabric on sale (of course) it seemed perfect and I bought the remainder of the roll then and there. After playing around with the numbers for pattern match and a fancy cutting layout, I had enough fabric to do a roman blind for the kitchen and full length curtains for the dining room.

Finally, after years of explaining to other people how to make roman blinds, I got round to making one myself. But what an unpleasant surprise I had when I went to sew two drops together and tried to match the pattern. It DIDN’T.

DSC02609DSC02613As you can see on the photo here, the pattern should match, but the parts that match up have run over onto the selvedge. Luckily the blind is only (!) 2.5m wide so we had enough width in the fabric to cut a strip down the side and match the pattern with the next repeat over. I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out.  The blind is fully lined with blackout thermal lining. It only has two pleats when pulled up as this is all it needs to be the right height when completely pulled up to sit exactly between the ceiling moulding and the top of the window.

DSC02612

The roman blind was actually finished last winter, but I have only just finished the matching curtains. It wasn’t an urgent job as I already had curtains up.

Because of the pattern match issue I decided to make two different width curtains of 1 drop and 2 drops, which also suits the location as there is narrow draw back space on the right hand side. I didn’t worry about cutting back fabric to match the pattern when sewing the two lengths together – the seam ends up getting hidden in the pleats of the curtain. I’m glad the curtains were cut with pattern match in mind anyway – you can see the swirls all matching up at the same height across the whole expanse.

DSC02710

The curtains don’t have any sewn in lining, but are fully lined with blackout thermal lining on detachable lining tape (so easy to do!). If the lining doesn’t sit nicely or keeps peeping out I will hand tack the lining and curtains together at the sides.

Please excuse the mess!

Advertisements

4 Comments

Leave a Comment
  1. Sheryll / Apr 6 2013 1:14 am

    Your curtain looks great. I love height matching in a line with the roman blind. Aren’t you so sew clever!

  2. missjoiedevivre / Apr 12 2013 6:09 am

    Wow, curtains and a blind, so impressive! And great fabric.

Trackbacks

  1. Yet another curtain (keeping out the winter cold) | Piccolo presents

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: